F 13P Mangroves 2nd Edition
ISBN : 978-1-86283-150-6
Published Date : 17 November 2014
Product Code : F13P
Format : Free PDF for download
by Dave Claridge, John Burnett and Bob Moffatt
Wet Paper pdf file licence conditions
By downloading this file your school agrees to the following conditions.
- The publisher and author/s of this pdf file grants to the school a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable right and licence to use the content, exercises, lab and field work lesson notes within the school for educational purposes only.
- The title to, and intellectual property in these online resources rests with the publisher's author, illustrators, photographers and design consultants and nothing in the agreement should be construed as transferring those rights to the school.
- Non Payment for this licence shall not constitute ownership.
If you have any questions please contact Bob on 0418 769 790.
Except as permitted by the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), you may not reproduce any of the contents of this publication, without the written permission of the copyright owner.
- There are exemptions under the Act that allow educational and government use of text, images and music scores for educational purposes.
- These exemptions are in Part VB of the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), where you are entitled to reproduce or communicate 10% of the words or one chapter from this file for educational use within your school. If you wish to reproduce or communicate MORE than 10% contact the copyright owner.
For more information, see www.copyright.com.au and www.copyright.org.au.
A 160 page information and project book updated for the 2013 Queensland Marine Science Sylabus
Excellent projects for Marine Science Syllabus EMI's
Innovative and engaging lab exercises
Chapter 1 Classification and biodiversity
Variety and abundance of life
Lab exercise 1.1 Mangrove microbes
Lab exercise 1.2 Scat analysis
Project 1.1 Fish and mangroves
Project 1.2 Organisms that live in the mud
Project 1.3 Mangroves and plankton
Project 1.4 Mangrove identification
Project 1.5 Crab study
Project 1.6 Design a key
Chapter 2 Anatomy, physiology and adaptation
Anatomy and physiology
Lab exercise 2.1 Mangrove leaf sections
Lab exercise 2.2 Mangrove leaf epidermis
Lab exercise 2.3 Salt secretion
Lab exercise 2.4 Pneumatophore morphology
Lab exercise 2.5 Salt levels in leaves
Project 2.1 Seedlings and salinity
Project 2.2 Fruit germinating and salinity
Project 2.3 Leaf angles
Project 2.4 Width and length ratios
Project 2.5 Salt excretion rates
Chapter 3 Ecology and succession
Field trip: Mangrove adaptations and relationships
Lab exercise 3.1 Mud salinity
Lab exercise 3.2 Organic component of the mud
Lab exercise 3.3 Mud porosity and dissolved oxygen
Project 3.1 Mangrove productivity
Project 3.2 Ecological succession
Project 3.3 Investigating attaching organisms
Project 3.4 Mangrove leaf decomposition rates
Project 3.5 Mud saturation
Project 3.6 Pneumatophore distribution
Project 3.7 Leaf fall and biomass
Project 3.8 Mangrove snail and crab populations
Chapter 4 Conservation and sustainability
Economic value of mangroves
Threats to mangroves
Lab exercise 4.1 Water quality and mangroves
Lab exercise 4.2 Growing mangroves
Lab exercise 4.3 Make your own insect repellent
Project 4.1 Marina development
Project 4.2 Effects of canals
Project 4.3 Organise a conservation role play
Project 4.4 Maine paints and marine organisms
Project 4.5 Attitudes and feelings poll
Appendix 1 Species descriptions