- Product Code: W102
- ISBN 978-1-86283-117-9
- $17.00 (Discount in sets of 15+, see current order form for details)
- $8.80 pack and post ($20 Overseas Freight Economy Air)
- All Prices include GST
- The workbook is designed for students enrolled in years 10 - 12 of Australian High Schools as well as students enrolled in National Modules which deal with Snorkelling Instruction
- It follows the national modules as outlined by the HIT Courses and Certificate 1 and 2 Courses in Recreation. It is designed so students can read a bit, listen a bit in class and then answer questions on what they have learnt. The teacher is then able to mark their work and they can progress to the next section.
- The book is based on competency based standards where at the end of the day the students is rated competent or not yet competent.
- The book is written to NAUI standards and has their endorsement.
- 80 pages A4 Pages, colour cover
- Section 1 Introduction - Job opportunities, Snorkelling and ecotourism, Diving industry, Flexible delivery, Resources
- Section 2 Equipment. Masks, Snorkels, Fins, Wet suits, Stinger suits, Gloves, Weight belts, Knives, Snorkelling vests, Spearguns, Care of equipment, Activity 1 Check your understanding, Activity 2 Complete the following table, Extension activity 1 Evaluation of a snorkeling trail, Extension activity 2 Workplace health and safety report, Extension activity 3 Assignment topics
- Section 3 Underwater Science. Vision, Light and colour, Activity 3 Physiology of the eye, The ear, The air we breathe
- Activity 4 Physiology of the ear. Activity 5 Air and sound, Pressure, Activity 6 Effects of pressure, How pressure affects the ear, How pressure affects the sinuses, Activity 7 How pressure affects the ear, Movement, Temperature, Buoyancy, Activity 8 Buoyancy,, Boyle's law, Extension activity 3 Boyle's law
Section 4 Snorkel skills, Safety, Floating, Water entries, Activity 9 Getting into and out of the water, Finning, Activity 10 Finning and planning, Safety, Diving, Activity 11 Duck diving, Equalising your ears, Activity 12 Equalising or clearing your ears, Clearing your snorkel, Activity 13 Clearing your snorkel, Clearing your mask, Activity 14, Clearing your mask, Pool activities, Open water skills, Rescue and first aid, Best environmental practice
- Section 5 Resuscitation and first aid. DRABC, CPR. ECC, treatment for shock, stings, cuts
- Section 6 Dangers. Box jelly, shark, cone shells, fireweed, irrakangi, blue bottle, rays, stone fish, scorpion fish.
- Section 6 Logbook activities, Activity 1 Equipment fitting skills, Activity 2 Pool skills, Activity 3 Open water skills, Activity 4